Apparently, in my whimsical skipping around and through these 23 things, I didn't complete thing 7 which was to post on anything technology related. Golly, that was an easy one too.
Almost 10 years ago I read a book that stated that the microwave was the only modern invention that actually saved the housewife time. Every other wonderful invention, the refrigerator, dishwasher, vacuum, etc., has only upped the expectations of what a housewife would accomplish with her time.
I propose that all of these 2.0 technologies are having the same impact. Now we are expected to connect and communicate with more people than ever in more ways than ever and if you don't you are seen as backward and old fashioned. Instead of 'just' writing or calling friends, I'm supposed to let them know(force them to know?) about my life in audio visual forms and possibly even through a frequently updated blog or social networking site. Digital cameras and camcorders, gps and gis systems, search engines, etc. - they are all the wonderful inventions we can't any longer live without but that have only served to raise our expectations, not save us time or money. I further propose that the laptop is the microwave of 2.0. If I didn't have a laptop, I don't know if I would have even attempted these 23 things. Or maybe broadband access is the microwave.......
stopping now. this could go on forever and I still have a few more things to blog about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment